Skip to main content

Bag for my aunt

So while I was at the beach a month ago with my extended family, my aunt requested a bag(2 actually-one for her and one for my cousin).

I sketched a rough pattern and then added some measurements a couple weeks after I got back and finally this past week I have been able to start sewing the pieces together.




This is the front and one side seen together with the seam being raw on the outside




This is all the sides sewn together(minus one obviously)







All sides sewn together




There is a fleece lining but there will be an actual cotton piece in the inside.




Cute awesome pocket on the front. There is a Velcro closer and so the button is just for show. The pocket is also lined with a darker fabric and has a thin stabilizer in-between. This pocket is not going anywhere













Bottom piece




Used all three colors of threads




Bottom pinned on and ready to be sewn



So you sew the bottom on and then you make the lining the same way(5 pieces in a box shape). I made the pieces a little longer so they can be folded down in the seam. I surged the edges and then you fit the lining in the bag, match everything up, and pin it together. You will need some strap fabric. I bought 45 inches to play with(22ish on each side). Figure out how long you want the straps, and pin them in the seams so they're proportionate to the bag.





Get whatever color top and bobbin thread you want ready and figure out where you want to sew along the edges.

I did 2 lines for stability. 1 so the edge of my pressure foot was along the edge of my fabric and so the needle was all the way to the right and 1 where the edge of the fabric was along the metal plate on my machine which happens to be about an inch away from the first line. But you can do whatever works best for you.

Cut all your threads, make sure everything looks good and viola!




You're done!

Awesome!

I'll try and make a PDF version of this with more technical/ easy to follow directions when Im at an actual computer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WTNV (cosplay) skirt

I MADE A SKIRT! I'm going to a live WTNV show this week. It'll be my 2nd show and (75+ podcasts later) I'm really excited! I wanted to make a really easy skirt without a pattern for awhile now and after scouring the interwebs for an hour I found a couple sites with some pretty easy instructions. (you can check them out here and here ).  I didn't want it to be overly complicated- so no zipper or fabric waistband, but I did want a lining and an elastic waistband. I bought some YaYa Han cosplay brocade (the full cosplay line here ) and some purple lining ( the online picture is a crimson- IRL it's a purple that matches the brocade) from Jo-Anns.  I already had some soft  1.5 in elastic from another project( that i haven't started yet...). The last clothing item I made turned out really badly so since I've sewn and learned some new tricks since then, I was pretty optimistic about making this skirt. It seemed really easy while reading it onl...

Captain Marvel Cosplay skirt

I made this pretty awesome Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers skirt and scarf in 2 days time! It was kind of a last minute thing for Twin Tiers Comic Con in Elmira on Sat(8/13). Everything was bought at JoAnn Fabrics and here's what you'll need if you want to make your own: Blue fabric #400104927188 Red Fabric #400045691254 Yellow fabric- I used yellow symphony broadclotch from another project Gold Trim #070659745324 Gold Metallic Elastic( or any other elastic that you want) which can be found in the Notions aisle Star pdf Pellon 911FF iron on interfacing- as big as your star( i used 9 inches) Thread: Coats and Clark "Hero Red" and "Monaco Blue"(I think) also I used this website for reference, which I think I already linked to for my WTNV skirt I pretty much just cut the red fabric shorter than the blue fabric and sewed it on top of it along the waistline, then put in the elastic. The gold trim was sewn onto the red hemline and then the yellow sta...

Farmers Market-week3

This Saturday I think I did pretty well. I was able to sell my Owl(below), which was super cool SOLD! I also sold a heat pack and 2 mini drawstring bags. I haven't seen any coupons yet and I'm really hoping that some come in for the rest of July.